Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Ultimate Gift

It's a rare time when I have the ability to sit down for 2 hours and do one of my favorite things - read! I was fortunate enough last weekend to have two little kids who both decided to take two hour naps at the same time, and I was able to crack open a book that has been collecting some dust in our bookshelves. It was a great, quick read, and I wanted to share a little bit about it and recommend it for you, too! If you live close, I'll even let you borrow it! :)

The book is called The Ultimate Gift by Jim Stovall. It's a story about family, love, money and the true gifts in the world. Without ruining it, a young 24 year old learns through a series of "tests" the value of life's blessings... granted to him by his great-uncle's will, while the rest of his family received millions of dollars. He doesn't. He has to work for it, and ends up learning and having so much more.

The gifts include the following: value of honest work, gift of money, true friends, learning, problems, family, laughter, dreams, giving, gratitude, a day, and of love.

It's an easy read and it does make you think about how you live your life. I'm normally a fan of romances (go Danielle Steele and Nora Roberts!) and love recommendations, too. Do you have any?

Also, let's see... a recap of us this week. Busy work week. Preschool Open House. Haley's joint birthday party. Tried a few new recipes for dinners - nothing too exciting. Jason attended a friend's funeral. Texas beat OU. OSU is currently holding a small 3 point lead over Missouri (note: Jason is glued to it and I'm at the computer. Big shocker. It always makes for a happier Sunday if the Cowboys win, in his eyes!). Playgroup and a few long walks for me. We're on Mucinex trying to get rid of the crud. Planted 3 trees in our backyard. Had some friends over and made homemade Halloween sugar cookies. Relaxed at Kristy's while - gasp - the kids played nicely.

I'll try to do some various stuff on this site and not only just update on the kids (but that sure is the best for a proud mom!). Love to you all - thanks for checking this out.

3 comments:

GG said...

How 'bout those Pokes???!!!!

Kristy said...

Hey! Have you read any Francine Rivers? She's a christian romance author. You should read her book Redeeming Love. I couldn't put it down and then thought about it for days after I finished it. Sadly, the last time I read a book was...oh, probably before I got pg with Addie. I miss reading!!

We watched the game last night. My stomach was in knots at the end. I bet Jason is happy today! :)

Kelly said...

It's a great movie too!!