Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fair Hills, 2011 Version

It's (around) my 20th year and Jason's more a fan nowadays than me, too, after his six years of heading north to Fair Hills Resort in Minnesota. We had a great trip - even with a five week old baby - and love the true joy, friendliness, relaxation, and beauty of this resort.

Our pictures each year are pretty repetitive but it's fun to capture the boys different ages doing some of the same activities. This year marks a different experience for us - not only did we have a teeny tiny wee one, but my parents were unable to come. We missed their presence, their golf cart and their grandson time! :) Yet we were able to spend quality time with my lifelong friends and their spouses and get to know the personalities of their kids.

Here we are! Off we go! This was the only nap the two big boys took the entire 29 hours we were in the car. And it only lasted around 45 minutes. At least they did it together!












Pelican Rapids, MN - annual tradition. Except this year, as they went down to the Pelican, Kyle tripped and fell into the water (melting snow I would add - brrrr)














Reid and I were there, too!












We asked the boys what they'd like to do first - jump in the lake of course! After several individual jumps, the three (tried) to jump together. Someone was always off so this is the closest they look in any picture.












Here are two of my longest time friends - over three decades for Molly (black) and a year less for Carrie since she is younger than me! These are the girls that make up the "other Halls." We grew up down the street from each other, attended the same church, and their family is who got my family 28 years ago to try out Fair Hills. Each family also has a big brother, too, so we were all the same ages. And, both honored me by being attendants in our wedding. Molly has three girls while Carrie is pregnant with boy #4!












The ONE bad thing about Minnesota summers: MOSQUITOES!!! Jason ordered a mosquito net (which I did make fun of him for) but it served great as a guard for Reid!


















We vacation typically on 4th of July week (makes sense being self-employed). Pelican Lake, where the resort is located, always has a boat parade - this year, the resort's Big Pelican boat and kids joined in - here they are returning.












Ridiculous. This was our first attempt at a family photo since the hospital - I doubt we'll ever have a picture in the next five years where all of us are looking and smiling (normal) at the camera.














I received this Moby wrap at my baby shower and love it!!! Most importantly - Reid loves it even more. This was taken at the water slide where I did not participate this year.


















One of Kyle's favorite things was to play Army Guys in the huge park area with Jason. This was just the beginning of their long water tunnels and .... well, I don't even really know because this stuff I leave up to Jason - out of my league and one of the things I don't understand about boys. :) Equivalent to Jason fixing hair bows.












It was a busy week - soooo sleepy!












SHARK ATTACK!!!! My mom took the boys to the Dollar Store to buy $5 of stuff to take in the car - both included a baby shark hat. The reason? Each year there is a campfire on the lake, and Larry usually sings this song about a baby shark. They wore the hats and were called up to sing it with Mr. Larry, and they both loved it! I don't have shy kids!




































Here's Kyle and Jack (Carrie's oldest). They would be best of buds if they lived near each other. This night, they were pulling around the golf club carriers and just laughing a lot. Good times. Behind me as I am taking this picture was a huge t-ball game where I think Grant and his friend beat their dads!












One neat thing about Fair Hills is the friendships that are made each year and fortunately, because the resort is truly a fabulous family vacation, the same families tend to return each summer. One of our friends is a photographer for a Chicago newspaper and she is great at capturing photos. She just happened to snag a few for me this year since I didn't take near what I usually tend to take. So here are the infamous water slide pictures, compliments of Jean Lachat photography.






1 comment:

Kristy said...

What great pics and what a great vacation! I wanna go next year!