Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Walker Personalities

As 2012 comes to a close, I wanted to write a summary for everyone in our family to capture how we are, today, near the end of a year full of blessings.  When we moved, I came across all sorts of memorabilia from EMHS and Theta and OSU and various awards.  And you know what?  It made me smile to remember all of those great things in my life that shaped my personality and made me who I am today! So why not let the boys be able to look back and see how silly they were 20 years ago in 2032!

Grant Jason (G-boy, Dude, Buddy, Cuddlebug (the 2nd), G-rant)
7 1/2 - (you know I had to write the 1/2 or I would have been corrected when they read this on the computer!).  Grant is a smart little cookie and (yes, I am totally biased) I would like to say he has a great chance to grow up to be very talented at a multitude of things.  This year, he has developed some sassiness and started having an attitude towards his parents that we have tried to nip.  He started playing piano in August and caught on pretty quickly.  He played basketball, baseball and flag football.  He enjoys playing in our driveway - usually football catch or football plays with Kyle.  Grant is in the Gifted and Talented program at school for "overall" academics and then also one of four kids in the G-T class for math.  He thinks it is so fun!  Grant has also started enjoying watching sports on TV with his Daddy.  Best friends would be William, Dominic, Brice with some Hudson, Tripp, Jacob, Mason and Barrett thrown in there (if your son isn't listed - sorry - it's not all-encompassing!).  He is assigned homework on Fridays that has to be returned the following Friday - he does it on Friday afternoon when he gets home so he can be finished with it (I love that and then I can get it off my mental checklist!).  He has started making his own PB&J sandwiches as his appetite has started to increase (here we go!).  G loves to sleep (I often still wake him up on school days) and sleeps hard.  He sleeps with a pillow on top of his head (like his Mommy). Could care less about his clothes usually.  When he grows up, he wants to be an author.  Favorite sports are football, four square, kickball, basketball and baseball.  and soccer.  (just added).  Favorite foods are PJ&J, corn dogs, green apples, Fair Hills bars, "ants on a log."  Favorite colors are green and orange and black.  Favorite book is Flat Stanley at Bat and favorite thing to learn at school is subtraction and math.

Kyle Douglass (Bud, Kyle boy (as he often signs work at school), Snaps, Chief)
5 1/2 - This guy has grown up so much this year, physically, mentally and emotionally.  He is tall and skinny with some little muscles.  Kyle cares about what he wears and tries to either dress "handsome" or "athletic" every day.  If Jason and I need a helper on a project, Kyle will always willingly volunteer to hold the rope or carry the bag for us.  His heart is made of gold and he loves any and every creature he comes across. Kyle is very quick to compliment others.  His teacher told us that he is the kid in his class who sits with the child from Special Ed and tries to talk with him.  Kyle played t-ball in the spring and plays outside with his brother all the time.  He is still a Star Wars fanatic - whether it's dress-up clothes, PS3 games, or conversation - he reverts to Star Wars.  Kyle loves to drive our battery car (and is really good at manuevering).  As of now, he wants to marry Issy and his best friends are Mez, Sam W, Emily, Kelan, Camden, Gaddis, and Thomas. And, my family!  Kyle needs less sleep than any of us.  He has become quite proficient at pouring himself a bowl of cereal in the mornings.  He loves to sleep with his stuffed animals all around him at night.  Kyle also started piano in August and loves to learn.  You can tell he is two years younger when both boys are playing but he's doing awesome for being 5.  Jason and I are both thrilled they love to play - we don't (hardly ever is accurate!) have to ask them to practice - they just do!  The best thing about Kyle this year to me is how obvious it has become how much he loves to be a big brother.  He can be so tender and loving and careful and kind to Reid.  He is the one who volunteers to watch him if Jason and I have a project.  He thinks ahead in situations so they're the best for Reid.  I just asked Kyle and he said when he grows up he wants to be a football player and a racecar driver.  Favorite foods are bananas, strawberries, red apples, and everything that is good.  Favorite colors are purple, red and green for Christmas, and orange, and yellow and pink.  And blue and gray.   :)  Favorite thing to learn at school is math and music.  Favorite books are Christmas books because they are about Jesus.

Reid Jeffrey (Reiders, F5, Sweet Baby)
18 months - Loves to babble.  Doesn't say a lot of words that we can understand but babbles frequently.  Loves to eat ice, go to the pantry and dump the cereal on to the floor, just started enjoying playing with cars on the floor, loves Elmo, thinks he is as big as his brothers.  One cute story - G and K were watching a movie and started laughing.  Reid walks right in front of the screen and just does the loudest, most fake laugh just to join in on the fun.  Great sleeper (7:30p-at least 8:30a) with a nap in the afternoon. Doesn't eat a lot. Really enjoys the trampoline and being outside.  Has become sweet with Catey (our dog).  Loves his Daddy - probably his favorite person.  Wears 18-24 month clothes.  Does sign language some still. He really has no friends as all of our activities relate to his brothers whereas when they were little, it was playgroup this and playgroup that.... sorry, Reid! :)

Jason Dean
33 - I have asked JW to puh-lease get on here and just type a recap of his past year, and he just refuses.  So, he is in painting our kitchen, and I am typing and running everything by him! He just thinks my asking him to come type is the worst thing ever!  :)  Opposites attract, eh?  It's a win-win for us both that way.  See how we roll?!?  I will start this by bragging on him - 2012 was his year to get his weight down - he has lost right about 25 pounds and weighs the least amount since I have known him.  And he hasn't really even exercised a lot but has simply cut down his portions and doesn't eat a lot of junk at night (amazing how that actually works w/o the fancy diet tricks). So, he's pretty hot!!  He had his 5th anniversary of Jason D. Walker, DDS PC, and the practice still continues to grow, with mostly word-of-mouth promotion.  2012 was the first year he was a solo dental practice as the doc we bought it from stopped working there last December.  Jason's been able to keep up with the load, and one of the orthodontists shared that JW's work was the best he has seen (and he's been practicing 35+ years).  Jason is Reid's best friend - he loves his daddy!  Grant and Kyle look forward to every day when they can finally yell "Daddy's home" as he arrives home in plenty of time for family dinner and some playtime.  He's leading the Lifegroup out of our home and has become comfortable doing that role.  He would love to play more golf and would probably enjoy getting back on a softball team eventually.  Jason wants to go on a family vacation like yesterday (!) and just really enjoys making fun memories - camping, playing sports, coaching, reading books, playing Cars or Star Wars PS3 games, whatever - with the kids (and me!).  He's chomping at the bit to take the kids snow skiing.  Jas has spent a lot of time the past two months painting the house and, after our third house of making paint selections, I think we finally got them perfectly snazzy.  He ran the half marathon in April and hated every step of it.  We ventured in to the world of biking, and we both got on one, and have now resumed riding bikes since quitting when we were kids.  He really wants a truck, too!  Funny car story: there was a dental continuing education in town, and it was for everyone in the office - front desk, hygiene, assistants, dentists.  The speaker was trying to make a point about smart financial decisions and had everyone talk about the age of their car - out of everyone in the dental industry in town (there are about 18 dentists in town plus their staff of 6ish each), Jason had the oldest car of anyone in the room - 1999.  Paid for and still runs great so we're not replacing it yet!  Overall, I love this man so much that my heart could burst (most of the time!) out of respect and honor and fondness for him and the way he chooses to treat me and to raise our kids.

Stacy Dawn
32 - Great year - I love my husband more than ever, we moved in to a home that we already are in love with but can't wait to make our updates when time and money allow.  Traveled to Costa Rica to celebrate 10 years with JW and enjoyed every minute.  Kids are healthy and so very joyful and full of life; plus, they love God and are usually kind little gentlemen.  My folks finished their dream home, and it's 1 mile from our home.  I played volleyball with some great ladies in both the spring and fall.  When I am able to play with good competition, it's where I want to be and where I feel very comfortable.  This year for me was the start of the realization I am not getting any younger, my face is starting to look older (darn spots and wrinkles), my metabolism is slowing, and for whatever reason, I have had less energy.  So, Jason and I have been better this year at watching the quantity of what we eat and I, at one point, shed about 15 pounds (a few have come back!).  I would love to lose some more but at least I am content now.  Friends and I ran the Memorial Marathon relay.  I feel like several months this fall were marked with not feeling well and my headaches.  Many days this year for me were spending some TLC time with the boys as this is the first year it seems we have had illnesses.  I still cherish family vacations more than anything, and usually my best memories are from them.  The fall was spent listing our house, selling and packing, and moving to our (maybe) forever home.  We spent 3 weeks with my parents that seemed to fly by as we got along great.  We are now settled in our home, and with some time and elbow grease, we'll have this place updated.  It already feels like home, gold light fixtures and ugly backsplashes included.  I have taken a step back from being so involved at the school and I think that's because of Reid, but not really sure.  I am self-teaching myself piano - currently working on trying to master Eidelweiss (one handed) and then try to figure out the second hand.  I still enjoy my part-time job doing Quickbooks (that's the nerd in me coming out).  I love to sing in my car (Toddler Tunes or K-love), love to be quirky and cuddly and annoying to the boys, love nighttime dance parties in the kitchen, love to work in the yard, love a clean house but hate getting it there, love to have my countertops cleared off of dirty dishes and toys off the floor, love sitting on our patio listening to the pond waterfall.  One of the great things for me about 2012 was starting our Lifegroup and getting those relationships built and watching my husband lead a group of peers.  But you know what my best thing about this year was?  It was the joy I see on my boys' faces and the love I see in my husband's eyes.  There's nothing quite like having a happy marriage and healthy kids to make a person be thankful.  Thanks, God, for my life!

1 comment:

Casey said...

Hi sweet friend! I just read this and loved catching up on your sweet family. You are one blessed mama! Love ya!