Sunday, December 21, 2014

NCAA Volleyball playoffs

The NCAA Division I Volleyball playoffs were in Oklahoma City this year!  WAHOO!  I was asked several months ago if I wanted to get tickets, and I reluctantly declined, and regretted it ever since.  However, my friend's daughter had a final the next morning so she ended up not wanting to go, and I was asked to join!  YIPPEE!
 
I was a kid in a candy shop... so fun!

My friend, Karen, and I standing with the trophy!
 
We were there for the semi-final matches.  The first between #2 Texas and unranked BYU.  Our seats were good.  Behind most of the Texas crowd. BYU ended up upsetting Texas!

"I'm walking through a forest of tall trees!" was the quote of the night as we tried to navigate the halls - the size of these volleyball people in the "real" volleyball world outside of EMHS and Oklahoma Junior Olympics is amazing.  They're giants.  We were laughing at that quote as we walked to the bathroom...
when we walked right in to (literally) my former teammate who was with her daughter, and they were leaving.  She offered us her tickets - ROW FOUR - for the Standford and Penn State game.  Um, yes, PLEASE!
 
Captain Ron was on row 3.  He and his wife, and my parents, were the unofficial "team parents" growing up for our Club team and traveled everywhere with us.  Great memories with him!
 
YES! That's Kerri Walsh Jennings!!
Volleyball legend. Stanford grad. Three-time Olympic gold medalist.
She was three rows in front of us.
And a tiny, tall tree as well.

 
Karch Kiraly, Mr. Volleyball Legend, was across the court as the announcer.

Penn State always looked in control.  I predicted they'd win the finals and they did so last night.
congrats!  Their setter just happens to be from my same high school!!!!

No comments: