Sunday, August 2, 2009

Books Abound!

When I have time to rest I will typically choose to do one of four things: hang out with Jason , watch TV, piddle on the computer or read a book. Reading has become the lowest priority until this past month when I was able to finish four books!


Vacation helped that, contributing to finishing two of them while in Minnesota. I read The Same Kind of Different As Me and Chasing Harry Winston. Two completely different books. TSKODAM is a true story and is very, very inspiring. Makes you think - about life, how you live, your relationship with God, and your genuine kindness towards others - are you truly making a difference in the world? Chasing Harry Winston, as you can tell by the title, is simply a mindless female read, written by the same author as The Devil Wears Prada. Two others by Danielle Steele wrap up the month's read - Coming Out and Toxic Bachelors. Coming Out was a waste of a few evenings but the other one was enjoyable.
For those that know me well or have read the blog for a while, you know that I have made my goal for 2009 to read the entire Bible. Considering the church we attend was doing a Bible in 90 Days course, my goal of 365 seems pretty easy. But, it has been challenging to make that a priority in an otherwise busy or tempting world. I was doing excellent at this personal challenge until these other books plopped in my lap and I chose them over the Bible. Big mistake. I am now a few weeks behind (think July 17 or 18) so I need to refocus and get going. There are some great stories that I have never heard!!! I am more than 1/2 finished with it and know that I truly do feel closer to the Lord by spending that extra time each day as well as knowing more details about His life and times and the massive history behind Christianity.
My next read will be The Time Travelers Wife as suggested by friends so we can go the movie in a month or so. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs will be a movie for the whole family and is taken from one of Grant's favorite books!

No comments: