Monday, September 6, 2010

Why Blog?

In this age of so many forms of easy communication and social networking, why a blog? Wouldn't it just be easier to post it all on facebook for my 841 friends to see? or email to the family members and friends who (amazingly) haven't joined the trend to get an account?

Because I can!

This blog is a place for me to capture small moments and details and simple, funny stories about the life that my little family is creating.

When I first learned about my pregnancy with Grant, it was within days that I started keeping a journal, detailing every little thought and writing down doctor appointment stats and blah blah blah. Love it! I was so good at updating his journal even when life was crazy, and I was working 2 jobs and Jason was gone 6 days a week for school, residency, and his job. I think it is updated until he is about 4 years old. Also started one for Kyle... his is up-to-date (not nearly as many entries as Grant's one) to about age 2.

This blog, however, lets me detail it all! It is so much easier to think of a story and be able to hop online to write it down (there are some posts that are not made public on a blog, by author discretion) than to find both journals, write it down twice...

Technology is great. In fact, there are quite a few sites where one can upload their blog, and have a book printed. And that is just what we're doing. Our blog since 2008 will be about $40 to print so far, in full color, with a hard-back covering.

So, for me, this blog is my scrapbook. The important photos I want to share are here along with happenings of our lives and what we're doing. I truly believe in 10 or 20 or 30 years, if the Internet is still around (!) this is a keepsake. and, if not, I will be so thankful I had the chance to "scrapbook" my family through this blog. and, since I'm not a creative person, this straight-forward typing is much simpler.

So that is why I blog! And if anyone chooses to read it, then that is an extra bonus!!!

3 comments:

E.Gray said...

Like :) makes me want to keep mine up better, i just keep forgetting!!

Annie said...

I don't know why I hadn't peeked in on you before... maybe Amanda didn't have a link yet. Anyway, that's how I got here. It's fun to hear others perspectives on life, especially moms. I'll have to keep checking in. So fun to blog!

Anne Hall said...

Wow! I didn't know you could have a book made of a blog! Way cool! I'll have to remember that for later.