Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A few nights ago, when I went to check on the boys before going to bed, Kyle became pretty alert and wanted to start talking.  He and I stayed up until 2 a.m. talking about everything from his substitute teacher to his bedspread to the backyard to his friends.  In the middle of it, he put his sweet little hands on my cheeks (lit only by the nightlight) and preciously announced that the time spent together was the best part of his week and maybe his entire year.  He professed that he loved me so, so, so much (!!) and then asked to hug.  I got on my knees on the bed, and he stood up, and I realized he is the perfect height to hug.  His arms went all around my rib cage and his head just rested on my shoulder.  And I did "a happy cry" as he calls it.

And we stayed like that for nearly 3 minutes.  I kept trying to leave and he would kiss my shirt, or grab my hand and kiss, or lean in again for another hug.  Was he procrastinating sleep?  Probably - but I tend to think it's because he feels love and comfort, and that makes me happy.

Sweet memories.

No comments: