Sunday, June 9, 2013

Blow me away!

Our great state has been blown away this tornado season.  May 20 and May 31 both brought record-breaking disasters to extended metro area.  On the 31st, my parents and I were at the OKC airport getting ready to fly to visit my grandmother.  We really tried to get on the 6:30 flight instead of the 8:30 to beat the bad weather.... at 6:15 the announcement came that everyone must go to the tunnels below the airport.  

We did.  Along with 2,000 other people.  

It was fine for a while.  And then the power went out.  As well as the air conditioners!  :)
The staff brought bottled water to elderly and kids, and then finally to everyone.  Truthfully, I was never scared as it was the safest place to be!  However, the not knowing about what was happening outside was the worst as we didn't get cell reception.

Funny story: the guy in the lower right corner is actually friends with my Aunt Kelly and Uncle Tony, and my Uncle Jay from college!!!  Small world.

We decided to go upstairs and brave the weather before given the "all clear" by the airport as we knew our flight wasn't happening.  We left at 8:45 and this was the view.  Just about the time I took this picture, we were next to a Volkswagon Beetle trying to brave the flood water (which you cannot see in the picture!).  It didn't make it.  Water was up to the headlights, and the car just died.  Sad.

We saw several cars, a good amount of debris, down power lines, and a whole lot of traffic.  Not a fun night and I was glad to pull up to my driveway around 11!

 Our thoughts and prayers to the families and victims of these natural disasters!

No comments: