Thursday, December 11, 2008

Do-Overs With God

- This is a serious, religious post. No funny kid stories included -

Tuesday nights at 6:30. It's been a routine now for nearly a year, with some weekly exceptions. Sharla, Angie, Laura, Julie and me. What a great bonding time. We have had two different Bible studies - one was more interactive and discussion-oriented, and our recent one was very in-depth with the Bible. This last week was thought-provoking and I want to share what I take from Beth Moore's lesson, though it's not nearly as good, powerful, or clear as she presents, but it's a shot.

Every life on earth will be full of sin. What we choose to do about that sin and how we choose to live our lives is all based on personal decisions, moral compasses, and also those with whom we surround ourselves.

Grace is such a common word but do we really know it and feel it? I believe this concept is one of the basic views of a Christian life. After our sin, we have two options: continue to repeat the sin knowing in our gut that the decisions are wrong, or we can learn from it and not do it again. It's sin versus repeated sin. They are different. And although I've heard the expression "sin is sin is sin" - what's the difference between sin? You can fall into an area of sin and turn from it towards God, or do the opposite. Keep heaping it. What's the difference? That's where grace comes in because not a single one of us can earn our salvation because we all miss the mark - He gives us the grace. There is a difference in behavior and I do think you can choose different paths afterwards, one of which pleases God. Grace is the peace you feel when you correct your sin because you know that God is working in your heart.

That leads me to "do-overs." You've had sin. I've sinned. And we know it's wrong. It is over, and later you think "man, if I could just have a do-over then it would be different." God doesn't let us rewind time and live that situation over the right way because he wants us to learn from it. He wants us to learn from our indulgences, our careless words, and our actions. God will teach us. His teaching is providing a "do over" from God. He gives us similar situations where we can choose NOT to sin again. That's our do-over. I've had do-overs - sometimes I have followed the Godly path and there are times where I have continued to sin. I know that I have had a few do-overs with some of you, and some of you I wish I could have one.

My heart feels different depending on my reaction to the situation.

If you have regrets about past behavior, which I surely do and imagine you do, too - talk to God about it. Perhaps he'll remind you of all the times He provided another opportunity and because of all you have learned, he'll show you the do-over and how you chose right.

Exodus 20:20 "He tests us to keep us from sinning" - when we blow it, you can bet He'll test us. Be prepared for your "do-over." Get ready for victory when you do it right!

When you reflect on your life, I hope you'll find many do-overs that you are happy with.

We can find in Psalm 19 that the Lord is pure and he'll lead us in paths of righteousness, just as He did for David. Our current Bible study has been about the life of King David and his many adventures. We've learned a lot. The main stories and lessons have been in I and II Samuel, if you want to study. God will reward us for keeping his word and will keep us out of more trouble. Thank heavens that there aren't more times we have strayed left and that we don't have more do-overs.

Imagine the peace that will fill your heart when you choose the path of correcting sin, accepting God's eternal grace and knowing you are forgiven. I hope to one day be able to fully experience that feeling. I have a lot of work to go, both in actions and learning about Him.

Thanks to my Tuesday night girls and for an incredible year, full of a lot of laughs and tears, and for challenging and loving me. Love you guys and am so blessed to have each of you in my life forever.


Also, to my readers, do you have a good suggestion for another study for our group to do after Christmas? This one needs to be more discussion/group-focused. We would love ideas!!

No comments: