Monday, April 19, 2010

Half of my Life - 15 years

As an Oklahoman, I will never forget the morning of April 19. I was a sophomore and in a Spanish class when we heard and felt the boom that would forever change the face of OKC and our nation and the views of terrorism - it was an American! A few friends were panicky about their parents downtown; two of them ended up losing a parent. Future sorority sisters (3 sisters!) also lost their Mom, Peggy, who was a veterinarian, and tonight, they are interviewed with Brian Williams at 5:30.

As a staff member for nearly 4 years, I will never forget the pride, respect, emotion, struggles, enrichment, friendships, maturity, opportunities and so many other things that I gained as an employee of the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum. The facility itself is outstanding, and I know they've made several improvements since I left. As a teaching tool, there is none comparable to the education and history provided.

The photo below is the Museum's mission statement, taken on my last day of employment. It's the first thing visitors see as they enter the Museum.
Jason snuck this one as I was headed on my first trip as the Tours and Marketing Director. Even then (man, I look so young and skinny!), I was proud of my job. I know many people aren't able to truly feel "pride" in their job, but I was lucky at 23 to feel it. Still do 7 years later!
On another Strategic Planning trip with a crew of OKC leadership, survivors and employees to Washington, D.C. I was 6 weeks pregnant with Mr. Grant here!

(this may be the worst photo I have ever taken - but it was a few weeks after Grant was born and my first activity back as an employee. Not sure what's going on with the hair, make-up or the outfit. Three strikes!). Mr. Brian Williams used my office as his hub when he was in town for the 10th anniversary. He was as nice as could be and even left me a thank you note for "loaning" him my space (I would have sat in the hall on the floor to be around him!)

And one of the walls of my office showing our marketing pieces created for the 10th anniversary. It was a series of ad designs for various media projects.
The pride and awe I feel for the Memorial and Museum has led me (and Jason is joining!) to accomplish something I've said for 7 years that I would do - participate in the Memorial Marathon. In 2005, a bunch of the staff wanted to run the relay, but we always had to work. And then I was pregnant, or just had a baby, and never did. No excuses this year!! Our goal is to complete it, as neither of us are runners (and we decided like 8 weeks ago!). But we'll be there and I can't wait to high-five my coworkers and hug them for the great things they have done for OKC, Oklahoma and our great nation.
April 19, 1995 - 15 years later. Never forget.
Can you tell I'm passionate about it!?!? ;)

No comments: