Thursday, February 28, 2013

Job Offer

I always knew I wanted to be a Mommy.  I was blessed growing up to have two actively involved parents in my life, and my Mom was home with us most of the time.  I began my professional career working in downtown OKC, where I was able to meet wonderful people and experience great things.  I loved it.

And then came our first child...

And my husband cried more than I did the day we dropped him off at daycare for the first time.

Long work days and commute led to my resignation at one job and acceptance of a 20 hour week position also in downtown - perfect fit for that time.

We then moved towns and I have spent the past six years doing the marketing and bookkeeping of our office.  It's very part-time and flexible as I can do it at 10 p.m from home if needed.

Nearly a month ago, one of our new neighbors was asking about my "previous life" and when I shared with her my professional background, she asked me to interview for a "part-time marketing position" with a great place in town, and it is literally 3 minutes from our home.

I met with the committee and was offered the job that day. I loved dressing up in my professional clothes for the interview and my mind had been racing about the things I knew I could start implementing at once to improve the business.  However, the Walker family goals and the job's requirements didn't coincide, and I, very reluctantly, declined to start the job.

I cried. But I cried thinking "it would have been perfect" but knowing in my gut it just wasn't meant to be.

And you know what is so odd from this whole experience?!?  I truly feel like the past two weeks I have been a better mom to Reid.   I have organized a brand new playgroup like what I did with the older two boys when they were little.  The time I have with him has been more intentional.  I was also contacted out of the blue by the elementary school to serve on the PTA board next year as the Treasurer (which is so funny b/c I have been uninvolved there since having Reid at home).  Totally a God thing for these other doors to have opened within days of the job decision.

And you know what else is awesome?!?  That Grant told me he didn't want me to go to work because he loves knowing I am here for him.   Those comments can grab heart strings any day.

So as the professional return isn't happening yet, and who knows if/when it will, I love having had experiences, both good and unfortunate, to develop character and a balanced outlook on life's true blessings.

No comments: